Nymphaea 'Marliacea Albida'
- Position: full sun
- Depth of water: 45-75cm (18-30in)
- Rate of growth: average
- Ultimate spread: 120cm (48in)
- Height above surface: 0-10cm (0-4in)
- Flowering period: June to September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A free-flowering variety that produces a profusion of fragrant, bowl-shaped, double white flowers with prominent yellow centres from June to September. 'Marliacea Albida' is the most popular white water lily in cultivation. Best planted at a depth of 45-75cm (18-30in), it needs plenty of space, so makes an excellent choice for a lake or large, deep, wildlife pond, where the dark green leaves create a shady underwater habitat for native fish and amphibians. The shade cast by the foliage also helps to check the spread of algae.
- Garden care: Plant firmly in a hessian-lined aquatic planting basket filled with aquatic compost. Apply a 2.5cm (1in) top-dressing of pea shingle or gravel to prevent the top layer of the planting medium from clouding the water. The crown of the plant should protrude slightly above the surface of the planting basket. Raise the basket on bricks when the plant is young, gradually lowering them as the plant matures, so that the leaves float on the surface.
An organic garden should also be a wildlife-friendly garden. Not only is it wonderful to see nature at work, but many creatures will help you achieve better results. The ponds in my garden act as a magnet to dragonflies and...Read full article
A garden pond can transform the atmosphere of a garden, adding colour, light and movement. If you include a pond pump [link] then you can enjoy the soothing sound of moving water too. In a small garden an area of...Read full article
For the beginner If you do nothing else... Water new plants. Make sure new additions do not suffer during dry spells. Plant up summer containers. Plant containers with summer bedding once the threat of frosts has passed. Feed container plants. About six...Read full article
Choose a sunny warm day to make the job more pleasant. Use a special aquatic basket with lattice-work sides to plant both marginals for the shallows around the edge of the pond and for deep-water plants such as waterlilies. It is also important...Read full article