Iris 'Berlin Tiger'
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Depth of water: 5-25cm (2-10in)
- Soil: reliably moist or boggy soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: July and August
- Hardiness: fully hardy
The brown-veined yellow flowers of this water-loving iris will put on a beautiful show from midsummer, while the slender ridged foliage provides more enduring interest. Plant this is bold clumps or drifts on the margins of a pond where its distinctly upright habit will provide a fabulous contrast to the flat expanse of water, or find a spot in deep, reliably moist soil.
- Garden care: These plants are potted up (using a suitable aquatic compost) into 1-litre aquatic pots. These pots are made of a fine mesh, which allows water to circulate through the compost, providing the plants with both oxygen and nutrients. If you are using them as a aquatic plant, they can be placed straight into the pond, however they will preform better if planted out sooner rather than later. To enhance flowering divide congested clumps every three to five years.
- Harmful if eaten
There are currently no 'goes well with' suggestions for this item.
Wildlife-friendly gardens are not only more interesting as you can watch all the comings and goings, but they are often more productive as many creatures will help increase pollination. Garden ponds act as a magnet to dragonflies and damsel flies, along wRead full article
A garden pond can transform the atmosphere of a garden, adding colour, light and movement. If you include a pond pump [link] then you can enjoy the soothing sound of moving water too. In a small garden an area of open water can actually increase the senseRead full article
There’s nothing like a lawn to bring the various elements of a garden together as it’s easy on the eye and helps highlight other more ornamental features. Best of all, it adds much needed space to the garden and provides evergreen continuity too. But a laRead full article
If you do nothing else...water new plants. Make sure new additions do not suffer during dry spells. Plant up summer containers bedding once the threat of frosts has passed. Feed container plants about six weeks after planting. If it’s a nice day...trim heRead full article
Choose a sunny warm day to make the job more pleasant. Use a special aquatic basket with lattice-work sides to plant both marginals for the shallows around the edge of the pond and for deep-water plants such as waterlilies. It is also important to useRead full article