Lathyrus odoratus 'Midnight'
spencer sweet pea seed
- Standard £4.99
- Next / named day £6.99
- Click & collect FREE
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to September
- Hardiness: hardy annual
Larger than average, dark maroon flowers, which look almost black in certain lights, appear in clusters early in the season. Their long stems and sweet perfume make them ideal for cutting and adding to fresh arrangements.
All the sweet-peas in our trial produced significantly better plants when the seeds were sown in autumn rather than spring.
- Garden care:From October to late February, sow seeds into deep pots or root trainers filled with a good-quality seed compost and place them in a cold frame. Pinch out the tips as the plants grow to encourage them to become bushier and produce more flowers, and harden off before planting out in early April. Direct sowings can also be made in October or March-April. It is important to remove the faded flowers before they set seed, so picking them to fill a vase inside will only encourage more to form.
- Sow: October-April
- Flowering: June-September
- Approximate quantity: 20 seeds.
Reviewed by 1 customer
Displaying review 1
- Accurate Instructions
Comments about Lathyrus odoratus 'Midnight':
True to colour description, this proved a strong plant on an obelisk and lasted well as cut flowers.
- Your Gardening Experience:
- Keen but clueless
By mid summer the garden will be a glorious affair full of scent and soft flower. Placing a posy from the garden, close to a family hub like the kitchen table, unites your home and garden as effectively as having a huge picture window. You don’t have to bRead full article
The longer I go on growing my own veg, the more support I need.It was all so simple when I started. All I needed was a few little wigwams. You know the kind of thing; stick five bamboo canes in the ground in a rough circle, tie the tops together and youRead full article