Lathyrus odoratus 'Pluto'
spencer sweet pea seed Pluto
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to September
- Flower colour: bluish purple
- Hardiness: hardy annual
This lusciously coloured sweet pea will add bold splashes of colour to the border, where the bluish-purple flowers will look fab mixed with rich plums, lilacs and strong purples. The flowers appear throughout the summer if dead-headed regularly and have a delicate, sweet scent.
- Garden care:From October to late February, sow seeds into deep pots or root trainers filled with a good-quality seed compost and place them in a cold frame. Pinch out the tips as the plants grow to encourage them to become bushier and produce more flowers, and harden off before planting out in early April. Direct sowings can also be made in October or March-April. It is important to remove the faded flowers before they set seed, so picking them to fill a vase inside will only encourage more to form.
- Sow: October-April
- Flowering: June-September
- Approximate quantity: 20 seeds.
Position: full sun
Many flowering plants can be encouraged to produce better and longer-lasting displays with the minimum of effort. A plant produces flowers in order to reproduce and ensure the survival of the species. Once a plant has flowered and fertilisation has takenRead full article