Helleborus × hybridus Harvington white
Lenten rose / hellebore
- Position: partial shade
- Soil: heavy, neutral to alkaline soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: February to April
- Flower colour: white
- Other features: all parts of the plant cause severe discomfort if ingested; the sap may cause skin irritation
- Hardiness: borderline hardy (may need winter protection)
Pretty, pendent or outward-facing, saucer-shaped, white flowers from February to April and leathery, deep green leaves. This is an attractive variety which is perfect as a ground cover for areas of dappled shade under deciduous trees and shrubs. Like all hellebores, they prefer a heavy, neutral to alkaline soil.
- Garden care: Add lots of well-rotted leaf mould or organic matter to the planting hole. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted organic matter around the base of the plant in autumn and provide a top-dressing of general fertiliser each spring.
- Harmful if eaten/skin irritant