Erysimum 'Bowles's Mauve'
This sun-loving trouper deserves a long service medal - the mauve flower spikes comes out with the tulips (or earlier) and are still going strong in September
- Position: full sun
- Soil: poor to moderately-fertile, well-drained, neutral to alkaline soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: February to July
- Hardiness: borderline hardy ( may need winter protection))
This long-flowering, bushy, vigorous wallflower produces long spires of deep mauve flowers from late winter to summer (and usually into autumn), above narrow, grey-green leaves. It is a short-lived plant, but it makes a vivid display for many months in a sunny border. Try it as part of a colour-themed scheme, or contrast it with vivid yellows. It also looks good in a rock garden or raised bed.
- Garden care: Requires little attention. Provide cloche protection where frosts are very severe or prolonged.
An organic garden should also be a wildlife-friendly garden. Not only is it wonderful to see nature at work, but many creatures will help you achieve better results. The ponds in my garden act as a magnet to dragonflies and...Read full article
One of the first things you learn when you start gardening is that plants are not alone in the garden. There is a whole host of bugs that set up home in...Read full article