cucumber 'Crystal Lemon'
- Position: full sun, sheltered and warm
- Soil: moist and fertile with lots of added organic matter
The perfect cucumber for popping in the kids' lunchboxes for a healthy snack, this vigorous climber is smothered in small, round fruits like yellow tennis balls for months in late summer. It's an easy-going plant, as happy outside as under cover, and as well as being very pretty, the flavour is excellent – sweet, mild, and very juicy.
- Growing Instructions: Sow three or four seeds into a 9cm pot of seed compost in late spring and keep warm in a propagator or on a sunny windowsill. Once seedlings have produced three true leaves, pot on individually. Once all threat of frost has passed, harden off carefully and plant into the final growing site allowing 60cm between plants. Protect young plants against slugs. Grow up supports such as hazel wigwams or trellis to show off the fruit and keep plants off the ground.
- Sow: April to June
- Harvest: July to October
- Approximate quantity: 30 seeds.
Reviewed by 1 customer
Displaying review 1
- Accurate Instructions
Comments about Crocus cucumber'Crystal Lemon':
Very nice little cucumbers. They like full sun and fertile soil. The kids love the taste and the novelty. I've never grown cucumbers before, either outdoor or greenhouse but I will do again.
- Your Gardening Experience:
If you just want to grow a few vegetables or have suffered losses with early sowings, buying plants is a great way to play catch-up. Buying plants also allows you to grow vegetables if you do not have the facilities to raise them from seed yourself or wheRead full article
Frost tender plants can be encouraged to grow far more quickly under cloches and one group of plants, the cucurbits, benefit from the extra warmth overnight. This allows them to photosynthesise for longer and squash, courgette and outdoor cucumber plantsRead full article