Cleome hassleriana 'Violet Queen'
- Position: full sun
- Soil: preferably a light, sandy soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to September
- Hardiness: half-hardy annual
Eyecatching and strongly-scented, the deep violet flowers and palm-like leaves of this beautiful plant will add a tropical look to the late summer garden. Great for adding vertical interest to a perennial border, the spidery flowers will also make attractive cut flowers. The seed heads can be dried and added to bouquets, too.
- Garden care:For early flowers, sow under glass in late winter or spring. Plant seeds approximately 1cm deep in a seed tray containing good compost and keep warm. When large enough to handle, pot on and harden off before planting outside. Alternatively sow thinly outside in a sunny bed after all risk of frost has passed. Thin to 45cm as they grow on. Avoid over-watering and dead-head regularly to keep the plants producing more flowers. Protect them from strong winds and frosts.
- Sow: February-June
- Flowering: July-September
- Approximate quantity: 125 seeds.