Cleome hassleriana 'Violet Queen'
- Standard £4.99
- Next / named day £6.99
- Click & collect FREE
- Position: full sun
- Soil: preferably a light, sandy soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to September
- Hardiness: half-hardy annual
Eyecatching and strongly-scented, the deep violet flowers and palm-like leaves of this beautiful plant will add a tropical look to the late summer garden. Great for adding vertical interest to a perennial border, the spidery flowers will also make attractive cut flowers. The seed heads can be dried and added to bouquets, too.
- Garden care:For early flowers, sow under glass in late winter or spring. Plant seeds approximately 1cm deep in a seed tray containing good compost and keep warm. When large enough to handle, pot on and harden off before planting outside. Alternatively sow thinly outside in a sunny bed after all risk of frost has passed. Thin to 45cm as they grow on. Avoid over-watering and dead-head regularly to keep the plants producing more flowers. Protect them from strong winds and frosts.
- Sow: February-June
- Flowering: July-September
- Approximate quantity: 125 seeds.
There is still plenty of time to raise hardier annuals from seeds sown now and these include cosmos, zinnias and marigolds. However it's often easier to opt for ready-grown plugs of these, as well as the more-tender begonias petunias, antirrhinums and niRead full article