Skimmia japonica 'Nymans'
Japanese skimmia (female)
- Position: partial to full shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, moist but well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: April to May
- Flower colour: white
- Other features: the flowers are followed by bright red berries as long as a male variety is planted close by
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A spreading, evergreen shrub with white flowers in April and May and slightly aromatic, lance-shaped, dark green leaves. This award-winning shrub provides much-needed colour in the winter garden. Ideal for a shady shrub or mixed border, the flowers are followed by long lasting, bright red berries as long as a male variety is planted close by.
- Garden care: Lightly trim after flowering, if necessary. Add plenty of well-rotted compost when planting as may become chlorotic if planted on poor, dry soils.
Use the following notes as a guide when pruning trees, shrubs and climbers in your garden during the month of March. I’ve included timely advice on Abeliophyllum, Artemesia, Brachyglottis, Brunfelsia, Buddleja, Ceanothus, Clematis, Colutea, Cotinus, Daphne, Eccremocarpus, Elsholtzia, ...Read full article