Scabiosa atropurpurea 'Black Knight'
- Standard £4.99
- Next / named day £6.99
- Click & collect FREE
- Position: full sun
- Soil: moderately fertile, well-drained, neutral to slightly alkaline soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June to August
- Hardiness: hardy short-lived perennial
Deep purple-plum pincushion-like flower heads create a dazzling display throughout the summer. They will attract butterflies and bees to the garden, look great in a vase (especially when combined with lime greens), and have a sweet scent. Easy to grow, these short-lived perennials provide bold colour in the border and look great in naturalised planting schemes.
- Garden care: Sow shallowly in trays filled with good, moist but freely draining compost. Keeping the tray well watered, place in a warm, semi-shaded spot and keep temperatures around 20°C until they have germinated. When large enough to handle, pot on into small pots and grow on at cooler temperatures. Gradually harden off before planting outside at 30 - 45cm intervals.
- Sow: February-April
- Flowering: June-August
- Approximate quantity: 75 seeds.
These lovely plants produce a succession of lily-like flowers each of which lasts for just one day. At first, this seems rather disappointing, but they are such bright, exotic flowers and produced in such profusion that this isn't actually a drawback. InRead full article
If you are wanting to have a go at growing seeds then the easiest of all are the annuals because they are programmed to germinate, flower and set seed within one year - therefore they pop up easily because there’s no time to waste. Most will provide nectaRead full article