Helleborus × hybridus Harvington lime
Lenten rose hellebore
20% off selected hellebores
- Standard £4.99
- Click & collect FREE
- Position: partial shade
- Soil: heavy, neutral to alkaline soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: February to April
- Hardiness: borderline hardy (may need winter protection)
Pretty, pendent or outward-facing, saucer-shaped, white flowers from February to April and leathery, deep green leaves. This is an attractive variety which is perfect as a ground cover for areas of dappled shade under deciduous trees and shrubs. Like all hellebores, they prefer a heavy, neutral to alkaline soil.
- Garden care: Add lots of well-rotted leaf mould or organic matter to the planting hole. Cut the old leaves back down to the ground in January or February as this will show off the new emerging flowers to best effect. It will also help to get rid of foliar diseases such as Hellebore leaf spot. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted organic matter around the base of the plant in autumn and provide a top-dressing of general fertiliser each spring. Cut off the seed heads to prevent inferior seedlings colonising.
- Harmful if eaten/skin irritant