Echinops bannaticus 'Taplow Blue'
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: poor, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July and August
- Flower colour: bright blue
- Other features: excellent cut-flowers
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Spherical, bright blue flower-heads up to 5cm (2in) across in July and August and prickly, grey-green leaves. This gorgeous globe thistle is highly attractive to butterflies and bees. An eye-catching, yet undemanding perennial for the back of a herbaceous or mixed border, it's best planted in poor, well-drained soil in full sun.
- Garden care: Lift and divide congested colonies in autumn or spring.
There was a time when alliums were thought of only as vegetables. However, the taller varieties with their huge globe flower heads are now one of the stars of the architectural plant world. The stiff lollipop heads off-setting sharp vertical...Read full article