Dahlia 'My Love'
cactus dahlia tuber
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to September
- Flower colour: White
- Other features: excellent cut-flowers
- Hardiness: half hardy (will need winter protection)
The creamy white petals of this gorgeous cactus dahlia radiate out from a greenish yellow centre. Dahlias are perfect for adding several months of colour to the mixed or herbaceous border as they will usually flower from midsummer to mid-autumn. Make sure you plant more than you need, as they are excellent when cut too.
- Garden care: Provide a high-nitrogen liquid feed each week in June, then a high-potash fertiliser each week from July to September. Once the first frosts of autumn have blackened the foliage, carefully lift and clean the tubers and allow them to dry naturally indoors. Place the dry tubers in a shallow tray, just covered with slightly moist potting compost, sand or vermiculite. Store in a frost-free place, checking frequently over the winter months.
The traditional cottage garden was an intensive, yet carefree mixture of fruit, vegetables, herbs and flowers all crowded into a tiny space. Today, this informal charm can be recreated using modern varieties that largely take care of themselves around an...Read full article
Deadheading will prevent them setting seed and so use their energy producing a further flush of blooms later on. Plants that respond well to deadheading include annuals such as Ageratum, Alyssum, Antirrhinum, Calendula, Centaurea, Cosmos, Dahlia, foxglove, Californian poppy, sweet...Read full article