Dahlia 'My Love'
cactus dahlia tuber
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to September
- Flower colour: White
- Other features: excellent cut-flowers
- Hardiness: half hardy (will need winter protection)
The creamy white petals of this gorgeous cactus dahlia radiate out from a greenish yellow centre. Dahlias are perfect for adding several months of colour to the mixed or herbaceous border as they will usually flower from midsummer to mid-autumn. Make sure you plant more than you need, as they are excellent when cut too.
- Garden care: Provide a high-nitrogen liquid feed each week in June, then a high-potash fertiliser each week from July to September. Once the first frosts of autumn have blackened the foliage, carefully lift and clean the tubers and allow them to dry naturally indoors. Place the dry tubers in a shallow tray, just covered with slightly moist potting compost, sand or vermiculite. Store in a frost-free place, checking frequently over the winter months.
The traditional cottage garden was an intensive, yet carefree mixture of fruit, vegetables, herbs and flowers all crowded into a tiny space. Today, this informal charm can be recreated using modern varieties that largely take care of themselves around anRead full article
Deadheading will prevent them setting seed and so use their energy producing a further flush of blooms later on. Plants that respond well to deadheading include annuals such as Ageratum, Alyssum, Antirrhinum, Calendula, Centaurea, Cosmos, Dahlia, foxgloveRead full article
Tender perennials, such as pelargoniums, fuchsias, osteospermums and marguerites look great all summer, but unless they are given protection from the harsh winter weather, they will need to be replaced each spring. If you can do this, they will last for yRead full article
At some stage in June, your garden will be a glorious affair full of scent and soft flower. Placing a posy from the garden, close to a family hub like the kitchen table, unites your home and garden as effectively as having a huge picture window. You don’tRead full article
If rabbits, deer, squirrels or cats devour or scratch up your plants these wire mesh protectors will give them time to get established. The pyramid-shaped 'Rabbit Proof Cloche' and dome-shaped 'Squirrel Proof Cloche'Read full article
Come March even the most reluctant fair weather gardener is sure to be lured outside by spring sunshine and brighter light. There's plenty to do in the borders, especially after this winter's deluge, and every dry day is a chance to tidy, weed, dig or sRead full article