Crocus 'Ruby Giant'
- Position: full sun
- Soil: gritty, poor to moderately fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: February and March
- Flower colour: purple
- Other features: narrow, mid-green leaves
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Bulb size: 5/+
Delightful, deep-purple flowers in February and March and narrow, mid-green leaves. This early spring-flowering crocus is one of the best for naturalising in grass. Larger and more robust than other 'Tommy' varieties, stands up well to winter weather, dying back gracefully after it has flowered.
- Garden care: Plant bulbs in naturalistic drifts 10cm (4in) deep in September or October. Where bulbs are planted in grass do not cut the lawn until after the leaves have died back.
Spring bulbs, such as daffodils and hyacinths, can be planted whenever the soil conditions allow. As a rough guide, cover them with about twice as much soil as the bulb is deep: so that a 5cm (2in) deep bulb would need a 15cm (6in) deep hole so that itRead full article
Bulbs are ideal for anyone who rates themselves as 'keen-but-clueless' because they are one of the easiest plants to grow. Provided you plant them at the right time of year at more or less the right depth, they will reward you year after year with a relRead full article