- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast
- Flowering period: July to August
- Hardiness: half hardy
This popular, palm-like tree has arching, lance shaped, light green leaves, retained throughout the year. Mature trees produce dramatic white flower spikes that smell exquisite. It's an ideal focal point plant for a sunny, protected border, patio or for the exotic garden. It is also faster growing than the varieties with coloured foliage. In frost-prone areas it's best grown inside a warm greenhouse or conservatory.
- Garden care: In spring, when new growth appears and all danger of hard frosts has passed, cut back frost-damaged branches to just above the newly formed shoots.
The trick to achieving the tropical effect is good preparation and dense planting, vivid foliage, fiery flowers and striking contrasts. The jungle garden is a place for theatrical planning and planting. If you don't have room or the inclination...Read full article