cabbage 'Red Drumhead'
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, well drained, moisture-retentive and firm
This is among the most reliable of red cabbages to grow, producing generous-sized round heads with minimum fuss every time. A good-looking cabbage with deep burgundy-purple leaves tightly-wrapped around the solid central heart and few outer leaves to be wasted. The flavour is rich and hearty: braise slowly with apples and raisins for a sublime winter warmer. Red cabbage will also keep for months shredded finely and pickled in wine vinegar with a little pepper and ginger added. A Heritage variety introduced in the 1860's
- Growing Instructions:Early sowings can be made into pots or seed trays under cover: pot on as the seedlings grow. Or sow later in spring into shallow drills in a well-prepared seedbed, thinning seedlings to 5cm apart. When plants each 15cm tall transplant to where they are to grow, spacing about 45cm apart and firming in well. Protect from slugs and net against pigeons.
- Sow: March-April and July
- Harvest: Spring sowings: early August; summer sowings: October
- Approximate quantity: 500 seeds.
If you just want to grow a few vegetables or have suffered losses with early sowings, buying plants is a great way to play catch-up. Buying plants also allows you to grow vegetables if you do not have the facilities to raise them from seed yourself or wheRead full article