Acer platanoides 'Drummondii'
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained
- Rate of growth: vigorous
- Flowering period: April to May
- Flower colour: yellow
- Other features: creamy-white edged leaves turn orange in autumn
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Dark green leaves with creamy-white margins turning orange in autumn and small clusters of red-tinged, yellow spring flowers. This handsome, round-headed tree is possibly the best variegated Norway maple. An excellent specimen tree for a medium-sized garden, it is pollution-tolerant and copes well on most soils, including clay.
- Garden care: Add a top-dressing of a multi-purpose fertiliser around the base of the plant in late spring. No routine pruning is required, just remove any dead, damaged or crossing branches in late autumn or winter when they are fully dormant.
By November the garden is well and truly dormant, so it’s a good time to prune many deciduous garden trees. As for October, prune newly planted trees to remove any damaged growth and help balance the shape of the canopy...Read full article
The garden is at its most dormant right now, so it’s a good time to catch up on any pruning missed or forgotten since the autumn. If the weather isn’t favourable, you can leave it for a week or two,...Read full article