Zinnia 'Dahlia Flowered Mixed'
- Position: full sun
- Soil: moderately fertile, humus-rich, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to August
- Flowering colour: mixed, including cream, yellow, orange, red and pink
- Hardiness: tender annual (will die after flowering)
Zinnias make great bedding plants as they are easy to grow and will provide months of colour. They were cultivated by the Aztecs and can definitely be described as sun-lovers. The 'Dahlia Flowered' cultivars are an heirloom zinnia, which was first introduced in the early 1900's. It produces flat-faced, tightly packed flowerheads (10 - 15cm across) throughout summer in a wide range of bright colours. They make excellent cut flowers and will encourage bees.
- Garden care:For early flowers, sow under glass in early spring. Fill a seed tray or pot with good quality compost and space the seeds at 2.5cm intervals and just cover with a sprinkling of compost. Water moderately and when the seedlings are large enough to handle pot on and harden off before planting outside. Alternatively sow thinly outside in a sunny bed after all risk of frost has passed. Thin to 25cm as they grow on. Sowing several batches with a couple of weeks in between each will ensure the flowering period stretches from early summer to the first frosts.
- Sow: March to June
- Flowering: June-September
- Approximate quantity: 130 seeds.
There are currently no articles for this item.