fosteriana tulip (syn. White Emperor) bulbs
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: April
- Flower colour: white
- Other features: excellent cut-flowers
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Bulb size: 12+
These tulips have large flowers on tall, sturdy stems which makes them ideal for large scale bedding displays. They are early flowering so the creamy-white flowers appear in late March and April. Because of its strong growth and great performance, this variety has been the prestigious Award of Garden Merit by the Royal Horticultural Society. Even more impressive - the flowers are scented.
- Garden care:In September to December plant bulbs 15-20cm deep and 10-15cm apart in fertile, well-drained soil. Alternatively, allow 7-9 bulbs per 30cm sq. After flowering dead-head and apply a balanced liquid fertiliser each week for the first month. Once the foliage has died down naturally lift the bulbs and store in a cool greenhouse.
- Harmful if eaten/may cause skin allergy
Reviewed by 1 customer
Displaying review 1
Comments about Crocus Tulipa'Purissima':
I was absolutley amazed how tall these beauty's grow, you can see them from quite a distance. They are stunning, very healthy plants and lasted, when eventually they bloomed after all that cold weather!!
- Your Gardening Experience:
- Keen but clueless
Tips of emerging leaves appear brown and scorched, and often shrivel and rot. The foliage soon becomes covered in a grey fungus. Brown spots appear on the leaves and flowers, which may also rot.Read full article
Spring bulbs, such as daffodils and hyacinths, can be planted whenever the soil conditions allow. As a rough guide, cover them with about twice as much soil as the bulb is deep: so that a 5cm (2in) deep bulb would need a 15cm (6in) deep hole so that itRead full article
Bulbs are ideal for anyone who rates themselves as 'keen-but-clueless' because they are one of the easiest plants to grow. Provided you plant them at the right time of year at more or less the right depth, they will reward you year after year with a relRead full article