Tricyrtis formosana 'Dark Beauty'
A strong, sultry, late-autumn star with dark-plum buds that open to white flowers heavily spotted in inky purple - matched by spotted foliage on upright tall stems
- Position: partial or full shade
- Soil: moist but well-drained, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: August to September
- Flower colour: purple spots
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Unusual, star-shaped, purple-spotted flowers from August to September and smooth dark green leaves, which are spotted with dark purplish green. This toad lily is great for adding an exotic touch to the garden as well as vertical interest. Best grown in a sheltered, shady border or woodland garden. In colder areas of the country give the plant a deep, dry winter mulch.
- Garden care: In cold areas of the country provide a deep, dry, winter mulch around the crown of the plant. Lift and divide congested colonies in spring, while the plant is still dormant.