Toona sinensis 'Flamingo'
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast
- Flowering period: July
- Flower colour: greenish white
- Hardiness: borderline hardy (may need winter protection)
A deciduous, often multi-stemmed tree, which makes a fine specimen in a sunny garden. In spring, the big, pinnate leaves emerge a bright salmon pink and gradually change colour to creamy yellow and later rich green in summer. The clusters of greenish white, cup-shaped flowers that appear in summer seem to dangle from the ends of the branches and are loved by insects. All parts of the plant are scented and the wood is often burnt in temples in Eastern Asia to infuse them with its delicate scent. The timber is also valuable for making furniture as it is very durable and easy to work with.
- Garden care: In late spring or early summer after flowering lightly cut back any branches that spoil the symmetry of the plant and apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the plant. In autumn trim back lightly any branches that obscure the display of fruit.
There are currently no articles for this item.