- Position: full sun
- Soil: moderately fertile, medium to light, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June and July
- Flower colour: purplish-green maturing to pale gold
- Other features: the flowers make attractive dried flower arrangements
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Arching stems of glistening, golden, oat-like flowerheads above clumps of slender, grey-green leaves. This majestic evergreen grass is an excellent specimen plant for a sunny, mixed or new perennial border. Perfect for introducing movement, it looks stunning under-planted with the rich purple flowerheads of Allium hollandicum 'Purple Sensation'.
- Garden care: When planting always wear stout gardening gloves to protect against the sharp edges of the basal leaves. Wearing gloves, comb through the plant in early spring to remove dead foliage.
There was a time when alliums were thought of only as vegetables. However, the taller varieties with their huge globe flower heads are now one of the stars of the architectural plant world. The stiff lollipop heads off-setting sharp vertical leaves, tall,Read full article
Indulge a passion for ornamental grasses by creating a prairie- or meadow-style garden. They can be richly planted with native wildflowers or a selection of complementary perennials and self-seeding annuals to create a naturalistic planting effect. PrairiRead full article