Scabiosa 'Butterfly Blue'
Enduringly popular in the cottage garden, much coveted by bees, butterflies and hoverflies, so a natural choice for the flowering meadow or wildflower garden; also a good cut flower
- Position: full sun
- Soil: moderately fertile, well-drained, neutral to slightly alkaline soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to September
- Flower colour: lavender blue
- Other features: the flowers are highly attractive to butterflies and bees; valuable for fresh and dried flower arrangements
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Garden care: Protect young plants from slug damage using environmentally friendly slug pellets or beer traps. Deadhead regularly to prolong flowering and cut back the faded flower stems in autumn.
Lovely, lavender blue, pincushion like flowers from July to September held on delicate stems above clumps of lance shaped, grey green leaves. This long flowering blue scabious is ideal for a sunny, well drained rock garden or container planting. As its name suggests, the charming pincushion like flowers are highly attractive to butterflies.