Scabiosa atropurpurea 'Fata Morgana'
- Position: full sun
- Soil: moderately fertile, well-drained, neutral to slightly alkaline soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June to August
- Flower colour: creamy apricot-yellow
- Other features: the flowers are highly attractive to butterflies and bees; valuable for fresh and dried flower arrangements
- Hardiness: hardy annual
- Garden care: Sow shallowly in trays filled with good, moist but freely draining compost. Keeping the tray well watered, place in a warm, semi-shaded spot and keep temperatures around 20°C until they have germinated. When large enough to handle, pot on into small pots and grow on at cooler temperatures. Gradually harden off before planting outside at 30 - 45cm intervals.
- Sow: February-April
- Flowering: June-August
- Approximate quantity: 75 seeds.
A new creamy-yellow coloured pincushion flower, that will flower prolifically throughout the summer. It is easy to grow, so is ideally suited for the novice gardener, and will help attract all kinds of beneficial insects (particularly butterflies) into the garden. The flowers are sweetly scented and make excellent additions to cut arrangements. Protect young plants from slug damage and deadhead regularly to prolong flowering.
There are currently no 'goes well with' suggestions for this item.