Rudbeckia fulgida var. sullivantii 'Goldsturm'
Knee-high golden yellow daisies with deep-brown middles from August until October - tidy, neat and crisply enduring colour linking summer and autumn
- Position: full sun
- Soil: moderately fertile, preferably heavy but well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: August to October
- Flower colour: golden yellow
- Other features: toothed, mid-green leaves; excellent, long lasting cut-flowers
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Large, golden-yellow, daisy-like flowers up to 12cm (5in) across with cone-shaped, blackish-brown centres from August to October. This award-winning black-eyed Susan looks great planted in bold drifts with other late summer-flowering perennials and ornamental grasses. Coping well in a sunny spot, it's ideal for the middle of a border that doesn't dry out over summer.
- Garden care: Lift and divide congested colonies in autumn or spring. Support with ring stakes or brushwood well before the flowers appear.
All pests have natural enemies. The trick in an organic garden is to encourage these beneficial insects and other creatures to take up residence in your garden so that they can do the pest management for you. The most effective...Read full article
An organic garden should also be a wildlife-friendly garden. Not only is it wonderful to see nature at work, but many creatures will help you achieve better results. The ponds in my garden act as a magnet to dragonflies and...Read full article
The traditional cottage garden was an intensive, yet carefree mixture of fruit, vegetables, herbs and flowers all crowded into a tiny space. Today, this informal charm can be recreated using modern varieties that largely take care of themselves around an...Read full article