A tall romper if happy, with fat globular buds that open to produce magnificent crepe-paper white poppies with golden-yellow centres
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to October
- Flower colour: pure white with yellow centres
- Other features: handsome grey-green leaves
- Hardiness: frost hardy (needs winter protection)
Papery, pure-white, poppy-like flowers with golden-yellow centres from July to October and handsome, deeply lobed, grey-green leaves. This wonderful, white tree poppy makes an excellent specimen plant for a sunny mixed border. Often slow to establish and resentful of disturbance, it requires fertile, well-drained soil, and shelter from strong winds. Can be propagated from root cuttings taken in the winter-early spring months.
- Garden care: Cut back flower stems close to the base in March. Provide a deep dry mulch in the winter months for protection.
Prevention is better than cure with diseases in the garden so keep your plants growing as strongly as possible – allowing them to fight off infections naturally. A weak plant is much more likely to fall prey than a good,...Read full article