Prunus 'Hillings Weeping'
weeping Fuji cherry (syn. 'Snow Showers')
- Position: full sun
- Soil: tolerates most soils
- Rate of growth: average, can prune hard.
- Flowering period: March/April
- Flower colour: white
- Other features: good autumn leaf colours
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A beautiful weeping tree that is ideal for the smallest gardens and will thrive in large tubs. Its long, weeping branches are smothered in pure white flowers in March and April and create a cascade effect. The flowers are produced on the current year's growth, so the branches can be pruned hard each year after flowering if required. The leaves are small, mid-green, and turn lush shades of burgundy and red in autumn.
- Garden care: When planting, incorporate lots of well-rotted compost in the planting hole and stake firmly. If potting up use John Innes No3 compost and make sure it is kept well watered during warm weather. Any necessary pruning should be done in summer to reduce the risk of bacterial canker canker.
Early-summer- flowering shrubs can be pruned this month to keep them vigorous and flowering well. It is also the ideal time to prune several trees that are prone to bleeding if pruned at other times, and it’s not too late...Read full article