Prunus × subhirtella 'Autumnalis'
- Position: full sun
- Soil: moist, well-drained fertile soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: October to April
- Flower colour: white tinged pink
- Other features: a perfect tree for the winter garden
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A stunning tree for the winter garden. Tiny white flowers open from deep pink buds on mild autumn days, continuing to bloom sporadically throughout the winter. The wand-like branches clustered with flowers are useful for cutting and taking indoors. An excellent small tree for a sunny garden.
- Garden care: When planting incorporate lots of well-rotted garden compost in the planting hole and stake firmly. Prune in summer to reduce the risk of silver leaf and bacterial canker. Cut back any dead, diseased or branches which cross to healthy wood.
Early-summer- flowering shrubs can be pruned this month to keep them vigorous and flowering well. It is also the ideal time to prune several trees that are prone to bleeding if pruned at other times, and it’s not too late...Read full article
Make the most of over 3000 years of gardening tradition by creating an oriental-style garden. Originally designed as a place for intellectual contemplation and meditation, they are an ideal sanctuary from...Read full article