Narcissus 'Spring Dawn'
large cupped daffodil bulbs
- Bulb orders £2.99
- Click & collect FREE
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: well-drained soil (for container-grown bulbs use two parts John Innes No2 compost to one part sharp grit)
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: January to February
- Flower colour: white
- Other features: narrow, strap-like leaves; contact with the sap may cause skin irritation
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Bulb size: 12/14
An exceptionally early flowering variety, that will produce its elegant, bi-coloured blooms as early as January. The flowers are very pretty, each with a large soft lemon cup, which is surrounded by a creamy white perianth (collar). These top stout and short(ish) stems, so will take poor weather in their stride, and will make them ideal for pots and windowboxes. 'Spring Dawn' is brilliant for extending the season and providing a much needed splash of colour in the late winter garden.
- Garden care: Wearing gloves plant bulbs 10-15cm (4-6in) deep and a similar distance apart from late summer to mid autumn. After flowering feed with a balanced fertiliser, dead-head and allow the leaves to die back naturally.
- Harmful if eaten/skin irritant
Bulbs produce lovely foliage but no flowers. Either no buds at all appear or those that do are dry and virtually empty of petals. Daffodils (Narcissi) are usually the worst affects, especially multi-headed or double forms.Read full article
If rabbits, deer, squirrels or cats devour or scratch up your plants these wire mesh protectors will give them time to get established. The pyramid-shaped 'Rabbit Proof Cloche' and dome-shaped 'Squirrel Proof Cloche'Read full article
One of the great things about gardening is being able to look into the future with enthusiasm, and part of that is planting now for next spring. A gardener knows, when handling papery brown bulbs, that these insignificant little things will produce earlyRead full article