- Position: full sun
- Soil: moist, well-drained
- Rate of growth: slow growing
- Flowering period: blossoms May to June
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Other features: produces deep red fruits in late September
Noted for producing a heavy-crop of well-flavoured fruits, which can be harvested in late summer, the rounded habit and handsome foliage of this deciduous tree, will also make it a superb specimen for a larger garden.
- Garden care: Prepare the ground well before planting. Plant in full sun out of cold, drying winds. Stake for the first few years and prune in winter, as the trees 'bleed' at other times of the year. Little pruning is needed, only to remove low, dead, diseased or crossing branches.