Magnolia liliiflora 'Nigra'
black lily magnolia
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moist, well-drained, slightly acidic soil
- Rate of growth: slow-growing
- Flowering period: June to September
- Flower colour: dark purple-red
- Other features: slightly fragrant flowers
- Hardiness:fully hardy
A stunning, deciduous magnolia with a compact habit and dark purple-red flowers which appear from an earlier age than most magnolias. The goblet-shaped blooms are produced from early summer, and then intermittently into autumn. A lovely shrub for a sunny or partially shaded spot out of strong winds.
- Garden care: Requires minimal pruning. Remove any broken, diseased or crossing branches in midsummer. The best time to plant is in April, adding plenty of peat to the planting hole, in a sheltered spot. Mulch in spring with manure and leafmould, especially on dry soils.
It is difficult not to get excited about this fabulous group of plants. Their big, bold, brightly coloured flowers, coupled with their versatile growth habits, make this one of the most popular plant groups of all time. There is no...Read full article