Lathyrus odoratus 'White Frills'
spencer sweet pea seed White Frills
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to September
- Flower colour: white
- Other features: sweetly scented flowers
- Hardiness: hardy annual
Frilly-edged white petals form good-sized, well-scented flowers, which appear in small clusters throughout the summer on long, slender stems. A firm favourite with the exhibitors, 'White Frills' consistantly wins awards at the shows, but also makes a fine climber for the garden, where it will fill the surrounding air with its sweet perfume. Plant more than you need as you will want some for the vase too.
- Garden care:From October to late February, sow seeds into deep pots or root trainers filled with a good-quality seed compost and place them in a cold frame. Pinch out the tips as the plants grow to encourage them to become bushier and produce more flowers, and harden off before planting out in early April. Direct sowings can also be made in October or March-April. It is important to remove the faded flowers before they set seed, so picking them to fill a vase inside will only encourage more to form.
- Sow: October-April
- Flowering: June-September
- Approximate quantity: 20 seeds.
Many flowering plants can be encouraged to produce better and longer-lasting displays with the minimum of effort. A plant produces flowers in order to reproduce and ensure the survival of the species. Once a plant has flowered and fertilisation has takenRead full article