Lathyrus odoratus 'Bobby's Girl'
spencer sweet pea seed Bobby's Girl
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to September
- Flower colour: cream and salmon pink
- Other features: sweetly scented flowers
- Hardiness: hardy annual
Each rich cream petal is heavily infused with salmon-pink, which becomes more noticeable towards the outer edges. This creates a very pretty, almost picotee effect, that looks equally at home beside soft pastels and more strident shades of pink and plum. The flowers are large, and they also have a deliciously sweet scent.
- Garden care:From October to late February, sow seeds into deep pots or root trainers filled with a good-quality seed compost and place them in a cold frame. Pinch out the tips as the plants grow to encourage them to become bushier and produce more flowers, and harden off before planting out in early April. Direct sowings can also be made in October or March-April. It is important to remove the faded flowers before they set seed, so picking them to fill a vase inside will only encourage more to form.
- Sow: October-April
- Flowering: June-September
- Approximate quantity: 20 seeds.
Many flowering plants can be encouraged to produce better and longer-lasting displays with the minimum of effort. A plant produces flowers in order to reproduce and ensure the survival of the species. Once a plant has flowered and fertilisation has...Read full article
Deadheading will prevent them setting seed and so use their energy producing a further flush of blooms later on. Plants that respond well to deadheading include annuals such as Ageratum, Alyssum, Antirrhinum, Calendula, Centaurea, Cosmos, Dahlia, foxglove, Californian poppy, sweet...Read full article