Kolkwitzia amabilis 'Pink Cloud'
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering Period: May to June
- Hardiness: fully hardy
In May and June the arching stems of this suckering, deciduous shrub are smothered with masses of small, deep pink, trumpet-like flowers. It makes a graceful backdrop to a sunny mixed or shrub border, and thrives in a wide range of soil conditions, including chalk.
- Garden care: Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the plant. Once the plant has developed a good-sized clump, thin out the stems by cutting back 1 in 3 of the older, flowering stems to their base. This should be done after they have finished flowering in midsummer.
Early-summer- flowering shrubs can be pruned this month to keep them vigorous and flowering well. It is also the ideal time to prune several trees that are prone to bleeding if pruned at other times, and it’s not too late to complete the pruning jobs forRead full article