Hibiscus syriacus 'White Chiffon'
- Position: full sun
- Soil: humus-rich, moist but well-drained, neutral to slightly alkaline soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: August to October
- Flower colour: white
- Other features: lobed, dark green leaves
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Large, single, white mallow-like flowers up to 12cm across with a lacy centre from August to October. This tree hollyhock is ideal towards the back of a sheltered, sunny border. Vigorous and easy-to-grow, it's one of the best varieties for cooler areas of the country, since the petals stand up well to wind and rain.
- Garden care: To encourage a bushy habit prune young plants hard in late spring. After pruning apply a generous 5-7cm mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the plant. Once established it requires little if any regular pruning.
Mediterranean gardens can take on various guises from the rustic and rambling to the formal elegance of an Italian courtyard. However, they all have key features in common, including the use of exotic, sometimes tender, drought-tolerant plants in pots and...Read full article
Most shrubs, trees and climbers are in full growth at this time of the year, but don’t be in a hurry to put away your secateurs because there are still pruning jobs that can be carried out this month....Read full article