- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil or John Innes No2 compost with some added grit
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to October
- Hardiness: tender (will need winter protection)
This climbing, tuberous perennial is grown for its very showy flowers that appear in summer and autumn. Opening bright red with contrasting yellow bases and margins, the reflexed petals have a ruffled texture and surround a cluster of curved, protruding stamens. Very effective in a tropical-style border when allowed to scramble through surrounding plants, it is also a favourite for the conservatory when potted up and given some form of support.
- Garden care: Look closely to see if you can see the growing tip and if so, plant them so this is uppermost and approximately 7-10cm below the soil surface. If no growing tip is visible, plant the tuber horizontally at a similar depth. Keep them warm to encourage growth and water freely when they are in active growth. In winter temperatures will need to be kept above 10C and the dormant plants kept dry.
- CAUTION toxic if eaten/skin irritant
There are currently no articles for this item.