Echinacea 'Tomato Soup'
- Position: full sun
- Soil: most soils, except very dry or boggy
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June to September
- Flower colour: bright tomato red
- Other features: excellent cut-flowers; toothed, dark green leaves; attractive to butterflies and bees
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A vigorous, recently introduced cultivar, which flowers over a long period from midsummer. Emerging with an orange flush, the flowerheads mature to a bright red and grow up to 12cm across on the upright, branching stems. These are very appealing to all kinds of wildlife. If you remove the spent flowers as they fade it will encourage lots more to follow, and therefore prolong the display well into autumn.
- Garden care: Lift and divide congested colonies in autumn or spring. In autumn cut back all dead flower stems to the ground.
All pests have natural enemies. The trick in an organic garden is to encourage these beneficial insects and other creatures to take up residence in your garden so that they can do the pest management for you. The most effective...Read full article
Companion planting is a method of growing different plants adjacent to one another for the benefit of one or both of the companions. Some plants are thought to confuse or act as a decoy to potential pests, while a few...Read full article