Cerinthe major Purpurascens
20% off selected flower seed
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: May to August
- Flower colour: purple-blue
- Other features: self-seeds freely
- Hardiness: half-hardy annual or perennial
Rich purple-blue flowers, which are very attractive to bees, appear from May to August, contrasting beautifully with the fleshy, blue-green foliage. A striking and versatile evergreen plant, in milder areas it will carry on from year to year, but should generally be treated as an annual. Ideal for adding interest to the herbaceous border. Before using in fresh arrangements, dip the ends of the stems in boiling water for thirty seconds.
- Garden care: Under glass, sow shallowly in freely draining compost in late winter or early spring. Once the seedlings are large enough to handle, gently move them into individual pots and harden off before planting out in a sunny spot after the frosts. Direct sowing can be undertaken in late spring in a well prepared bed.
- Sow: February-May
- Flowering: May-August
- Approximate quantity: 12 seeds.