Brunnera macrophylla 'Betty Bowring'
- Position: partial shade or full sun if reliably moist
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast
- Flowering period: March to April
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A great groundcovering plant for cool spots in the garden. In early spring it sends up sprays of delightfully elegant, pure white flowers. These rise on narrow stems, which grow taller as the heart-shaped, dark green leaves emerge, so they never get smothered. If you are lucky and the plant is thriving, you may get a second flush of flowers in late summer. The foliage forms good clumps throughout the warmer months, which is great for softening the edge of paths, or mixing in with other shade-loving plants such as ferns or hostas. It is more tolerant of sun than the variegated varieties, but only if it is kept cool with reliable moisture.
- Garden care: Lift and divide the plant every two or three years in late autumn.