- Position: full sun or lightly dappled shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: March
- Flower colour: yellowy-brown male catkins
- Other features: graceful pendant branches and attractive white bark
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Diamond-shaped, bright green leaves hang from graceful, pendant branches. It is a fast-growing tree with white, peeling bark that becomes marked with black, rugged cracks as it gets older. In spring, yellow-brown male catkins appear and in late autumn the foliage turns yellow before falling. It is one of the most widely used birches, grown for its narrow, conical shape and ability to grow in almost all soils and situations.
All the Betulas we supply are single-stemmed, but they can be planted close together to creat a multi-stemmed effect.
- Garden care: Birches dont need much pruning, but you may want to remove any diseased or crossing branches. It is essential that any pruning work is carried out between late summer to mid winter as the sap will 'bleed' heavily at other times. When planting incorporate lots of well-rotted garden compost in the planting and stake well.
As summer turns to autumn, thoughts turn to tidying the garden after the exuberance of summer and it is now an ideal time to prune many late-summer-flowering shrubs to keep them vigorous and flowering well. It’s also not too late...Read full article
A sanctuary of peace and tranquillity with an overwhelming sense of calm, a woodland garden is an ideal place to get away from it all with natural shade and privacy. Based on...Read full article