Begonia odorata 'Pink Flamingo'
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, humus-rich, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: May to the first frosts
- Flowering colour: pink
- Hardiness: tender (needs frost protection)
Large, many-petalled flowers appear in abundance, filling the surrounding air with their sweet perfume. For best effect plant them in a sheltered position near an entrance or seating area. Their rich colouring makes them easy to place in mixed planting schemes.
- Garden care:Pot up in early spring when the growth can be seen emerging from the tubers. Begonias are tender so must be protected by frosts, however you can pot them up and grow them on under glass from January onwards. The indented side of the tuber is the top, and this should just be covered by a fine layer of compost. Water well and keep them in a bright, warm spot, watering again only when the soil becomes quite dry. Once they are actively growing they can be watered more regularly, especially those growing in sunnier positions, but make sure that the compost or soil is never overly wet or waterlogged. During the growing season they can be fed with a balanced liquid fertiliser. Begonias grown in the ground should be lifted before the first hard frosts and left to die back before being stored in a well ventilated, dry place over the winter. Container-grown plants should be brought under cover during winter and 'potted on' into a slightly larger container each year in spring.
Bulbs are ideal for anyone who rates themselves as 'keen-but-clueless' because they are one of the easiest plants to grow. Provided you plant them at the right time of year at more or less the right depth, they will reward you year after year with a relRead full article
Tender perennials, such as pelargoniums, fuchsias, osteospermums and marguerites look great all summer, but unless they are given protection from the harsh winter weather, they will need to be replaced each spring. If you can do this, they will last for yRead full article
If rabbits, deer, squirrels or cats devour or scratch up your plants these wire mesh protectors will give them time to get established. The pyramid-shaped 'Rabbit Proof Cloche' and dome-shaped 'Squirrel Proof Cloche'Read full article