apple 'Christmas Pippin'
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Ultimate size on M26 rootstock: 3 x 3m (10 x 10ft)
- Ultimate size on MM106 rootstock: 5.5 x 5.5m (18 x 18ft)
- Flowering period: April and May
- Flower colour: white
- Other features: exceptionally high quality eating apples (early-October)
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Pollination Group: C - flowering late season
A recent introduction, which has been hailed as 'the new garden Cox'. It flowers and fruits abundantly, so puts on a beautiful display in late spring and early summer, and will provide you with a bumper crop of delicious eating apples that will be ready to harvest in early October. These apples are very sweet with a high, natural sugar content and have a creamy flesh. They are easy to grow too.
- Garden care: Keep the base of the tree weed free, fertilise at the beginning of each year and water regularly during hot, dry spells. Remove damaged or crossing branches during the dormant season.
- Pollination Information: This apple belongs to pollination group C, so you will need to plant one other different variety of apple to guarantee cross pollination, and a subsequent bumper crop. Ideally this should come from the same pollination group, however it is possible to use one from group B or D as well.