Antirrhinum majus 'Admiral White'
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, sharply drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June to September
- Other features: excellent cut-flowers
- Hardiness: half hardy, short-lived perennial
An elegant and easy to grow snapdragon that produces showy spires of fragrant, pure white flowers throughout summer. The flowers are excellent for cutting and look luminous when drifted through a sunny, well-drained border. Traditionally a cottage garden favourite, they will however look superb in most settings.
- Garden care:Fill trays with good quality compost and lightly cover the seeds. Water, and place in a cold frame or greenhouse. Pot on when they have put on their first true leaves and the harden off before planting out at 20-30cm intervals, after the frosts have passed. Seeds sown in autumn and overwintered in a cold frame, will produce bigger plants which will flower earlier in the year, than those sown in spring.
- Sow: August-October or March-April
- Flowering: June-September
- Approximate quantity: 50 seeds
The secret to success when planting tender young bedding plants is to plant them at the right stage of development into well-prepared soil so that they don't suffer a check in growth. Always plant tender bedding after the last expected frost date in yourRead full article