20% off plants
- Standard £4.99
- Next / named day £6.99
- Click & collect FREE
- Position: full sun
- Soil: well-drained, preferably poor soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flower colour: magenta-purple
- Other features: lance-shaped, grey-green leaves
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A beautiful, magenta-purple annual wildflower, once a common sight in cornfields. This summer-flowering corn cockle is perfect for naturalising in a sunny wildflower or cottage garden. Performing best in poor, well-drained soil, the flowers are highly attractive to bees.
- Garden care: When sowing seeds do not use a fertiliser since wildflowers prefer poor soils. Deadhead regularly to prolong flowering. In autumn cut the faded flowerheads down to the ground and compost the dead stems.
- Sow: March-October or September-October
- Flowering: August-Septemebr or May-July
- Approximate quantity: 90 seeds.
- Harmful if eaten