Verbascum bombyciferum 'Polarsommer'
- Position: full sun
- Soil: poor, well-drained, alkaline soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to August
- Flower colour: butter yellow
- Hardiness: fully hardy (but short-lived)
An attractive rosette-forming biennial that is covered in silky silver hairs. In summer tall spikes of saucer-shaped, butter yellow flowers appear above white-woolly basal leaves. A stunning plant for the back of a sunny border or planted in dramatic swathes in an island bed.
- Garden care: Mullein moth caterpillars can be a problem, so look out for them in early June and pick them off as soon as they appear. Remove faded flower-spikes. Apply a thick 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch around the base of the plant in early spring.
It is worth keeping in mind that these plants are mainly biennial, so although they usually self-seed freely, the plant will only live for two years