- Position: partial shade
- Soil: moist, well-drained, humus-rich, acid soil or ericaceous compost
- Rate of growth: slow to average
- Flowering period: May and June
- Flower colour: magenta-red
- Other features: evergreen foliage colours up in winter
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Bred in Germany, this tough, low-growing, evergreen shrub is smothered in bright red flowers in early summer. The normally rich green leaves, often take on a bronze tint and this becomes more pronounced in colder weather, when the foliage can turn dark red. An ornamental addition to the front of a shrub border, it will also flourish in a pot fill with ericaceous compost, provided it is kept well watered.
- Garden care: Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of leaf mould around the base of the plant each spring.
Make the most of over 3000 years of gardening tradition by creating an oriental-style garden. Originally designed as a place for intellectual contemplation and meditation, they are an ideal sanctuary from the pressures of modern living. Japanese gardens aRead full article