Potentilla thurberi 'Monarch's Velvet'
- Position: full sun
- Soil: poor to moderately fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June to August
- Flower colour: rich raspberry red
- Other features: hairy, mid green, strawberry-like leaves
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Ravishing, rich raspberry red flowers with deep velvet red centres from June to August and hairy, strawberry-like leaves. This red cinquefoil is a fabulous, long flowering plant for a sunny herbaceous or cottage style border and is one of the most attractive varieties currently available. For maximum success chose a site that doesn't get waterlogged in winter.
- Garden care: Lift and divide large clumps in autumn or spring. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted compost or manure around the base of the plant in spring