Lathyrus odoratus 'Mollie Rillstone'
spencer sweet pea seed Mollie Rillstone
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to September
- Flower colour: cream flushed with pink
- Other features: highly scented flowers
- Hardiness: hardy annual
Each picotee petal has a creamy coloured base that becomes pinker towards the outer edges. The scent of the flowers is strong and delicious and the blooms are of exhibition quality. Mix it with rich pinks and plums or lilacs and purples for a great effect. Not just pretty to look at though, they will also act as a magnet for beneficial insects.
- Garden care:From October to late February, sow seeds into deep pots or root trainers filled with a good-quality seed compost and place them in a cold frame. Pinch out the tips as the plants grow to encourage them to become bushier and produce more flowers, and harden off before planting out in early April. Direct sowings can also be made in October or March-April. It is important to remove the faded flowers before they set seed, so picking them to fill a vase inside will only encourage more to form.
- Sow: October-April
- Flowering: June-September
- Approximate quantity: 20 seeds.
Many flowering plants can be encouraged to produce better and longer-lasting displays with the minimum of effort. A plant produces flowers in order to reproduce and ensure the survival of the species. Once a plant has flowered and fertilisation has takenRead full article