Lathyrus odoratus 'Midnight'
spencer sweet pea Midnight
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to September
- Flower colour: deep wine red
- Other features: well scented flowers
- Hardiness: hardy annual
Larger than average, dark maroon flowers, which look almost black in certain lights, appear in clusters early in the season. Their long stems and sweet perfume make them ideal for cutting and adding to fresh arrangements.
All the sweet-peas in our trial produced significantly better plants when the seeds were sown in autumn rather than spring.
- Garden care: Incorporate lots of well-rotted organic matter in the planting hole. To make sure you keep the plants in top condition spray regularly with a fungicide as all sweet peas are prone to mildew, and feed with a high potash fertiliser, such as Tomorite for plenty of flowers. Don't forget to keep cutting the flowers so that you get plenty more!
If you do nothing else...water new plants. Make sure new additions do not suffer during dry spells. Plant up summer containers bedding once the threat of frosts has passed. Feed container plants about six weeks after planting. If it’s a nice day...trim heRead full article