Helleborus × hybridus 'Double Ellen Red'
hellebore Double Ellen Red
- Position: partial shade
- Soil: heavy, neutral to alkaline soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: February to April
- Flower colour: reddish-pink
- Other features: all parts of the plant cause severe discomfort if ingested; the sap may cause skin irritation
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Heavily spotted, red-pink flowers and dark green foliage, make these perennials a fine addition to winter-themed containers, especially when under-planted with early spring flowering bulbs. Their dainty appearance belies their tough and resilient nature.
- Garden care: Add lots of well-rotted leaf mould or organic matter to the planting hole. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted organic matter around the base of the plant in autumn and provide a top-dressing of general fertiliser each spring.
- Harmful if eaten/skin irritant